Re: [Devel] Apple Licenses Question

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Devel] Apple Licenses Question
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 17:42:22 +0200

Daniel Migowski wrote:

> > > I read from your freetype.orgs website, that apple patentet some of
> > > the opcodes used for the true type VM.
>
> Could someone explain, which exactly?

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

There are basically two patents:
- one targets the finest parts of TrueType, the delta hinter (which
finely tune the hints)
- the other targets the broader part, that is the concept of
projection vector (which almost any practical use of TrueType for
hinting use).

The opcodes per se are patented (nor patentable), what is patented
are the concepts used by TrueType programs (and interpreters of them).
The general sentiment is that the patents are valid (but no-one
did challenge them, or intent to AFAIK).

Antoine