Re: [Devel] Java port of FreeType

From: John Leuner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Java port of FreeType
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 14:09:40 +0100

> > I am interested in doing a port of freetype 2 to Java.
> >
> > So far I have read the glyph conventions guide and most of the other
> > docs, but I can't see a porter's guide anywhere.
>
> Maybe the files in
>
>   http://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/freetype2/

I see this document (and have read it), but it talks about a:

"FreeType Porting Guide"

which is what I'm curious about?

> > Would it be possible for me to use the FreeType CVS repository for
> > this development, or should I start a new project?
>
> Can you directly use the C files (compiled as a Java library), or do
> you plan to rewrite everying in Java?  The latter is probably quite
> time consuming, given that FreeType 2 sometimes changes radically...

I want to port all the source files to Java. Does Freetype 2 change a lot?

> Nevertheless, it should be possible to add a new Freetype-Java module
> and give you write access to that.  Alternatively, some Java support
> files could be directly added to the FreeType2 repository.  David?

Since I want to do a full port, I think it should be a separate module.
My sourceforge handle is 'jewel', could someone give me access?

Thanks
John Leuner