[Devel] Postscript hinter is now part of the HEAD branch

From: David Turner
Subject: [Devel] Postscript hinter is now part of the HEAD branch
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:33:58 +0200

Hello,

  Just to inform you that the Postscript hinting module is now commited
  to the HEAD branch of the CVS repository. Very fortunately, the merge
  brought a lot less conflicts that what I expected.

  Note however that:

    - the module is not 100% complete: a few things need to be finished
      regarding overshoot suppression and "stem3" hints, but results are
      pleasant. I also want to experiment with a few other things in the
      core algorithms..

    - only the "type1" module is currently using it. I'll need to update
      the "cid" and "cff" modules as well, but this should be relatively
      straightforward..

    - you _need_ the "Jam" build tool to compile the current code, since
      I've not written "rules.mk" file for the old Make-based build system
      (any volunteer btw ??)

    - there are still issues with diagonals, since hinting these in real-time
      is rather challenging. Regarding monochrome rendering however, I believe
      that a proper way to deal with them is to write a specific rasterizer
      that doesn't implement the same filling and dropout-control than the
      current one (which was designed on requirements of the TrueType
      specification). This _may_ take some time..

    - I have also fixed "glnames.py" and "pstables.h" to get rid of the
      glyph names "bug" reported by Jacob Jansen..

    - and don't forget, your mileage may vary regarding quality of hinted
      glyphs, mostly depending on the font you're using..

  Seems we'll release 2.0.6 in a very short time, he he he :-)

  I'll now try to fix the CVS commit log e-mail scripts again, since these
  are probably the last thing to do, with automatic "current" and "diff"
  packages generation in the FTP directory..

Cheers,

- David