Re: [Devel] Close on exec for font files

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Devel] Close on exec for font files
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2002 08:15:40 -0800

Around 18 o'clock on Jan 3, David Turner wrote:

> I'm ready to add such code to the FreeType sources, however I'd like
> to know wether these calls are Linux specific, available on all Unices,
> and if they require specific Autoconf voodoo to properly nest them
> in #if .. #endif controls ??

On almost all systems that XFree86 builds on, the following suffices:

        #include <fcntl.h>
        #include <unistd.h>

        #ifdef F_SETFD
        #ifdef FD_CLOEXEC
                ret = fcntl (fd, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC);
        #else
                ret = fcntl (fd, F_SETFD, 1);
        #endif /* FD_CLOEXEC */
        #endif /* F_SETFD */

You must have fcntl.h to use this; you should probably include unistd.h if
it exists.

I'd add:

        AC_CHECK_HEADERS(fcntl.h)
        AC_CHECK_HEADERS(unistd.h)

to configure.in and then

        #if HAVE_FCNTL_H
        #include <fcntl.h>
        #endif
        #if HAVE_UNISTD_H
        #include <unistd.h>
        #endif

to the file and then use the litle code snippet above.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab