[Devel] Fw: [Bug-gs] how to recognize GSF?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Devel] Fw: [Bug-gs] how to recognize GSF?
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 11:58:40 +0100 (CET)

This might be of interest.

    Werner
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [Bug-gs] how to recognize GSF? Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 13:35:02 -0800

I now believe that FreeType should add some code to accept Type 1 GSF
fonts.  According to the posts, such fonts are really valid Type 1
(which I haven't known before), and it is probably a good idea to make
FreeType better than ATM. :-)
I made PfaEdit accept gsf fonts a month or two ago. The change (to my parser) was trivial and took less than an hour.
basically
  * I had to look for declarations of Subrs and CharStrings outside of eexec
  * They use a slightly different procedure name  ("-!" not "-|")  to begin a
         charstring (to decode the hex)
  * Had to deal with hex rather than binary

Sometimes a user like me can't believe the impossible: That the
distribution contains such a nonsense :-)
:) I'll put a hack into pfaedit to recognize that things with the greek foundary should have iso8859-7 encodings.

pfaedit chokes on both fonts but accepts the original gsf, FreeType
accepts only the PFB...
Ah. Yes. These fonts contain declarations in Private of both "RD" and "-|" either of which can begin a charstring. Most fonts only contain the one they are going to use. PfaEdit notices which is defined and only expects to see that one (in this case it picked the last declaration, which happened not to be the right one. I'll fix this tonight.
--- End Message ---