Re: [Devel] Fonts with glyphs containing zero contours

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Devel] Fonts with glyphs containing zero contours
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 10:42:12 -0800

Around 18 o'clock on Feb 7, David Turner wrote:

> > Towards that end, can anyone suggest a set of FT_LOAD flags that would
> > cause minimal work within the library?  All I need is to load the
> > contours to check their count.
> >
> I believe that we're running out of bit flags for FT_LOAD_XXXX already
> (we need to limit ourselves to 16-bits only to support lesser processors :-)

The question was rather how to avoid work within the library so that I
might discover the properties of the available glyphs quickly.  I believe
that is done with:

        FT_LOAD_NO_SCALE|FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING

>  - the simple one:: provide a new API, like:
>
>         FT_Bool  FT_Glyph_Test_Format( FT_Face    face,
>                                        FT_UInt    glyph_index,
>                                        FT_UInt32  format_tag );
>
>    whose purpose is to answer the question: "does glyph 'index' has
>    an image in a specific 'format' ?"

This one would be sufficient, except that I'm concerned that it wouldn't
detect the presense of "broken" glyphs as seen in my previous posting.

For my purposes, the current mechanism is sufficient, if somewhat
inefficient.  As my library caches these results in any case, the
efficiency is less of a concern than accuracy, and I believe I'll need to
look at the outlines to discover whether they are empty when they're not
supposed to be.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        Compaq Cambridge Research Lab