RE: [Devel] freetype for OS9??

From: Graham Asher
Subject: RE: [Devel] freetype for OS9??
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 08:31:36 -0000

Hi, MS - you said

<<<<<<
I just wanted to know if the freetype library can be
ported to other OS (eg. Microware OS9) or does it work
with linux and windows only.

Yes - in fact I ported both FreeType 1 and FreeType 2 to EPOC (now known as
the Symbian OS), when I worked for Symbian from 1997 to 2000, and it is used
on Symbian devices including the Nokia 9210 Communicator. FreeType is now
relatively easy to port to any platform with a C compiler and a standard
library. The main problems are not porting the code but deciding on the
architecture by which glyph images are delivered to the graphics system by
the font server - whether to use inter-process communication, shared memory,
or both, and how and whether to cache glyphs. If you are using FreeType
inside a stand-alone application these problems don't arise.

Graham Asher
independent software architect