[Devel] RE: [OpenType] BDF-Erweiterung

From: Paul Nelson
Subject: [Devel] RE: [OpenType] BDF-Erweiterung
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 07:36:12 -0700

Werner,

You stated "Years ago, Microsoft extended the BDF format slightly to
support graymaps with with bpp > 1 (as used in TTFs).  This extension is
a fourth argument to `SIZE', specifying the pixel depth.  Example for a
8bpp graymap:

  SIZE 20 75 75 8

Valid arguments would be 1, 2, 4, and 8; no fourth argument means bpp
equal to 1."

I have not been able to find any such documentation to indicate this is
the case. Our SBIT32 software has documentation that states "The
specification is available at
ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/DeveloperSupport/Technotes/PSfiles/5005.BDF.ps".

I have also looked through code related to BDF manipulation and do not
see anything that would indicate supporting the graymap you are
referring to.

I am interested in understanding the source of your information.

Thanks,

Paul Nelson
Development Lead
Microsoft Typography