Re: [Devel] Re: strange cmap syntax

From: Ken Lunde
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: strange cmap syntax
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 06:15:41 -0700

Hidetoshi,

You wrote:

Is it the ToUnicode mapping(#5411) file?

No. A "ToUnicode" mapping file maps CIDs to Unicode code points. (BTW, I authored that Adobe Tech Note.)

The "ToUnicode" mapping files that are bundled with Acrobat use a special naming convention not shown in the Tech Note:

  /Registry + "-" + /Ordering + "-" + "UCS2"

For example:

  Adobe-GB1-UCS2
  Adobe-CNS1-UCS2
  Adobe-Japan1-UCS2
  Adobe-Korea1-UCS2

The other CMap-like files map non-Unicode to Unicode or Unicode to non-Unicode. Basically, it was what Acrobat engineers came up with as a way to perform code conversion between Unicode and non-Unicode encodings. While it's too late to implement a better system for Version 6.0, I shall propose that they implement an XML scheme for this purpose, which would then eliminate most, if not all, of the CMap-like files. They may need to keep the "ToUnicode" mapping files, though, as Distiller uses them.

Regards...

-- Ken