[Devel] composite glyph problem?

From: Scott Long
Subject: [Devel] composite glyph problem?
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 13:59:31 -0700

I've noticed the following problem when using our product to view the Wingdings font that comes with Win2k. The problem is also exhibited by ftview in the ft2demos package, so it must be a problem in FreeType... I see it in all versions from 2.0.1 through 2.1.1.

Some of the glyphs in Wingdings come out incorrectly positioned. The affected glyphs always seem to be rotated versions of other glyphs (for example, the various "arrow" glyphs in Wingdings). I haven't checked but these glyphs may be composites.. In any case, the glyph is rasterized correctly but it appears in the wrong location on the drawing surface.

To demonstrate, use 'ftview -f 208 20' to view the Wingdings font. Some of the glyphs are clearly mislocated by tens of pixels.

Thanks,
Scott Long
SwiftView, Inc.