Re: [Devel] first draft of a patch to add kerning support to the PFR mo

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] first draft of a patch to add kerning support to the PFR module
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:49:50 +0200

Hi Sven,

Sven Neumann a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> attached is a first version of a patch that adds support for kerning
> to the PFR module. Since I haven't found any fonts that contain the
> extra data item type 4 that provides kerning info this patch is
> absolutely untested. If anyone knows of a PFR0 font that has kerning
> information please let me know.
>
> Since this is my very first try on contributing something to FreeType,
> I'd very much appreciate if one of the core developers could have a
> short look and point me to any stupid mistakes I've made or correct my
> coding style.

I've commited your patch to the CVS and it seems to work well. Note that
I had to make the following (very light) changes:

  - renaming "pfr_get_kerning" to "pfr_face_get_kerning", since for
    the 2.1.x branch, the convention is now to use the ft_<object>_<action>
    syntax to make things clearer.

  - fixed the binary search in "pfr_get_kerning", since it ignored the
    trivial case where there is a _single_ pair in the table.

  - getting rid of "fprintf( stderr, ... )" and replacing them with
    "FT_TRACE2(( ... ))" instead.

    By the way, if you're interested in printing debugging output
    during development, you should do the following:

     - define the FT_DEBUG_LEVEL_TRACE in "ftoption.h" and recompile
       the library

     - when executing a program, define the FT2_DEBUG environment variable,
       it value must have the following format:

             <component1>=<n1> <component2>=<n2> ....

       where <componentX> is the name of one of the FreeType components
       (their list is in <freetype/internal/fttrace.h>) or the value
       "any" to indicate all of them.. <nX> is the trace level, from 0 to 6.

       for example:

            export FT2_DEBUG="any=2 pfr=4"

       means: all components use tracing level 2, except the PFR one that
       uses tracing level 4.

       Note that this doesn't work in the 2.0.x branch, if I remember
       correctly. Hope this information will be useful to other people
       as well

All things considered, it's a very good patch and you followed the coding
conventions very closely. Congratulations and thanks a lot for
submitting your patch :-)

Regards,

- David