[Devel] Avoiding grid-fitting using super-sampling

From: mbx5451
Subject: [Devel] Avoiding grid-fitting using super-sampling
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:49:42 +0200

I have just begun to investigate the inner workings of FreeType in details
and while reading about the problems of grid-fitting I thought about the
font system on my old Acorn RiscPC. To the best of my knowledge, it did
not use any explicit grid-fitting, but because it implemented anti-aliasing
using super sampling it was still able to render fonts of fairly good quality.
I am right in my assumption that super sampling could be used instead of
grid-fitting with a result of similar quality, or am I missing something?

/Jesper