Re: [Devel] Problem with drawing of Japanese characters ( the face size

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Problem with drawing of Japanese characters ( the face size is 10 )
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 10:25:56 +0200

Hello,

I don't know FTGL enough, but it might be that your font includes
embedded bitmaps for character sizes < 22. By default, FreeType
returns the bitmap instead of the outline. I suspect that FTGL
is not checking this or using the FT_LOAD_NO_BITMAP flag when

Well, maybe I'm wrong too, but until we get more details, it looks
like a FTGL bug rather than a FreeType one...

Hope this helps,

- David Turner
- The FreeType Project (www.freetype.org)

address@hidden wrote:

Hello Mr./Mrs.,
I have used the FreeType 2 and FTGL libraries and wanted to draw a Japanese
characters. I set the size of my font less then 22 and received black screen
(empty screen). Look at the part of my code:

wchar_t Label[16] = { 0x52D8,0x52E7,0x5DFB,0}; //Japanese Unicode string

void create_font()
{
    glClearColor(0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0);
    glPolygonMode(GL_FRONT_AND_BACK, GL_FILL);

    fontID = 4;
    font = new FTGLPixmapFont;   //2

    if (!font->Open("c:\winnt\Fonts\msmincho.ttc"))
    {
        printf("ERROR: Unable to open file %s \n",font_filename);
        *result = 0;
        delete font;
        return;
    }
    else
    {
        if (!font->FaceSize(10))
        {
            printf("ERROR: Unable to set font face size %d \n",point_size);
        }
    }
}

But when I change the face size into 23 or greater the result is OK.

Why do I receive the black screen (empty screen) when I set the face size to 10
?

Thank you

Yevgeni