Re: [Devel] fontstyle misconception

From: Vincent Caron
Subject: Re: [Devel] fontstyle misconception
Date: 11 Jul 2002 17:07:57 +0200

On Fri, 2002-07-12 at 05:06, Kaushik Datta wrote:
> Hi,
> I have downloaded and analysed the freetype library.But I think I had a
> misconception about the ttf fontstyles.
> I thought that for different fontstyles we would require different ttf
> files..........like Arialbd for Arial BOLD,Ariali for Arial Italics etc.
> But Now I think that actually we can change the fontstyle to BOld or Italics
> from a single file say Arial.ttf

A collection of glyphs from the same family using the same style is
called a 'face'. A font file might embed several faces, although much of
the time we have exactly one face per file. This is why you have the
'face_index' parameter in the FT_New_Face() function. In your example,
the MS Arial styles are splitted in one face per file, each face
implementing a style variant of the Arial family.

> Also does this freetype library support Underline fontstyle and
> Strikethrough fontstyle?

FreeType does not render those features, this is rather a  layout/text
rendering problem. Some scalable fonts will provide metrics for
underlining, look at the global metrics 'underline_position' and
'underline_thickness' in the FT_Face object. As for overstrike, I guess
you should consider the half-height of an 'x'.