Re: [Devel] Re: [Fonts]RE: Font family name problem

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Devel] Re: [Fonts]RE: Font family name problem
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 18:10:13 -0700

Around 20 o'clock on Jul 12, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Where the Macintosh/Roman/English entry was not English; I don't
> know if that was the reason for the current code or whether its
> unintentional.

The reason may well be that all of the Microsoft names are in Unicode
while the Macintosh names are in Apple Roman.  It's a lot easier to
translate UTF-16 into Latin-1 than Apple Roman...

> Still, it seems to me that if we don't have a Microsoft/English
> entry, we might as well take the Macintosh/Roman/English entry -
> it doesn't seem likely to be *worse* than using a known non-English
> Microsoft/Unicode entry.

I've started putting code together that ignores the FreeType family/style
values and walks the name table if available.  I have an apple roman
transcoding table available and I'm not afraid to use it.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab