Re: [OT font resolution -- was Re: [Devel] TrueType font-scaling]

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [OT font resolution -- was Re: [Devel] TrueType font-scaling]
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 14:22:41 -0700

Around 23 o'clock on Aug 5, "Joaquin Cuenca Abela" wrote:

> Are we going to pick the right value if we just leave the dpi parameter
> unspecified in the pattern that we pass to fontconfig?

I'm actually quite tempted to fix the Xft resolution to 96dpi unless
reconfigured by the user.  It's clear that using 96dpi is better than
using the "actual" display DPI.

I'm hoping to get a chance to do actual research into what this DPI value
should be in a variety of environments so that we can use a better value
than '96'.

Anyone have a reason to consider using the "real" display DPI?

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab