Re: [Devel] lightweight freetype?

From: Detlef Würkner
Subject: Re: [Devel] lightweight freetype?
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:21:27 +0200

address@hidden wrote:

> Hi!  I'm a FreeType newbie, though not a graphics newbie.  I'm
> considering developing a lightweight FreeType, since I only need the
> following:
>
> - monochrome rendering only (1 bit per pixel) i.e. no antialiasing
> - support for truetype and ps fonts only
> - no hinting and such, since I only want quite big fonts
>
> I also require that the library have a very small footprint.  1291 KB
> is much too big :)  Reducing FreeType to the above features would
> reduce the footprint, I presume.

1291 KB? On the Amiga the FT2 linker library has only 247 KB ;-)

> So... does anyone have any pointers for me on how I should go about
> this?  Or does someone have something like this already?  The source
> is quite large and the documentation is quite small :-)

Look at include/freetype/config/ftmodule.h, there you can comment out
what you dont need. In docs/modules.txt and/or
builds/amiga/include/freetype/config/ftmodule.h you can see the
dependencies between the modules.

Ciao, Detlef
--
_ // address@hidden