Re: [Devel] fixes for pshalgo3.c

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] fixes for pshalgo3.c
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 23:00:38 +0200

Hi Werner,

Just coming back from my holidays..

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
David,

please check my last changes to pshalgo3.c -- some local variables
have been shadowed by others which can cause undefined behaviour if
the local scope is left.  I've resolved such cases but I'm not sure
whether I've done it correctly.

It seems that we've been working concurrently, since I've commited
the same changes yesterday night. Everything seems fine, and I've
removed other compiler warnings tonight..

By the way, I've made a few small changes lately:

  - the "load_flags" parameter of FT_Load_Glyph/Char is now
    a FT_Int32, thus allowing new bit-flags

  - consequently, there is now a FT_LOAD_NO_AUTOHINT flag
    (hi Keith, that's for you !!)

  - I've made some tiny improvements to the Postscript hinter
    that basically supercede Owen's latest patch (not the big
    one that dramatically improves rendering but is no disabled
    by default). They also help deal with the blue alignment
    of small caps in fonts like "Utopia Regular" where a stem
    position doesn't correspond to an horizontal glyph segment
    (but to a local, angular, extremum)

  - I've added special code in both the auto and PS hinters
    to detect inflexion points and treat them specially. This
    in order to get rid of disappearing diagonals in characters
    like "s", "S", "2", etc... For some reason, it seems to work
    slightly better with automatic hinting than Postscript one,
    the reason why being still a mystery to me :-)

    Other "subtle but necessary" tuning is planned in the future..

Also:

  - I've started experimenting with counter-hints, but nothing
    usable is to be expected for the moment

  - I'm soon going to introduce FT_Set_Hint_Mode as
    described in one of my previous mail.

    After that, 2.1.3 should be out, with "slight" hinting
    disabled by default for all rendering targets since I don't
    want to break the display of LCD-optimized text with XFT.

    However, "slight" hinting will become the default for 2.1.4
    (and I thus hope that libXft will be updated to use FT_Set_Hint_Mode )

  - I didn't read all the messages that have been posted since these
    last three weeks. It will take time to do as you can imagine..

  - My "address@hidden" mailbox is flooded with spam and newbie
    requests, I don't think I'll be reading it in a long time, so
    avoid contacting me directly (or be prepared for a long wait :-).
    Prefer writing to the list directly..

Regards, and thank you.

- David Turner