Re: [Devel] Resend of "We try to add a new type of font under Freetype"

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Devel] Resend of "We try to add a new type of font under Freetype" with source
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 22:53:03 -0700

Around 13 o'clock on Aug 27, =?big5?B?Q2hlbmctSSBDSElFTiwgwrKlv7hx?= wrote:

> After we change the family name of the font from some truetype font
> to the family name of the font in our own format in the same program.
> Xft used system core font instead of our font.

You should be aware that the version of Xft that you are using is no longer
in development and has been replaced (in XFree86 CVS) with a new version.
I no longer have easy access to the old library which makes it difficult
for me to diagnose the problem you are having.

A version of this newer library which can be built for XFree86 4.1 and
later can be found at http://keithp.com/fonts

Release candidate 3 was packed up today as

        http://keithp.com/fonts/pub/fcpackage.rc3.tar.gz

One possible source of problems with the older library is in encoding
vectors.  If your font doesn't support the encoding vector expected by the
application (probably Unicode), then the older Xft would be unable to load
the font.

Note that the new version of Xft doesn't even pretend to support
non-Unicode encodings, so you'll need to provide a Unicode mapping for Xft
to locate any glyphs in the font.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab