Re: [Devel] FreeType 2.1.3 rc3 available

From: Scott Long
Subject: Re: [Devel] FreeType 2.1.3 rc3 available
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:24:08 -0800

Thanks David.

As usual, I will try to break your release candidate ;-)

Scott

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:02:16 +0100
 David Turner <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

  I've packaged 2.1.3 rc3 this morning, you should be able to grab
  it from the FTP site (and mirrors pretty soon I imagine).

  I have also commited a few changes before that:

    - a fix to the synthetic emboldener (stupid computation
      bug gave truly bad results :-( )

    - a new PFR-specific API (see FT_PFR_H or <freetype/ftpfr.h>),
      this is required because PFR faces do not use the same
      "unit size" for outline coordinates and metrics.

      the new API allows you to retrieve advances and kerning in
      original metrics units, this is important to implement text
      layout according to the Digital TV MHP 1.0.2 specification,
      for example :-)

    - well, FT_Get_Kerning didn't work correctly for PFR faces
      where "outline_resolution" and "metrics_resolution" differed,
      so this has been fixed...

  I'm also currently working on Juliusz's patch to support GZip
  compression. Since the zlib doesn't allow you to open .gz files
  with arbitrary streams, a small re-implementation of "gzio.c"
  is needed, i.e. one that handles FT_Stream objects.

  By the way, I don't know how to tweak Autoconf to support an
  optional dependency on zlib. Does anyone in here knows how to
  do that simply. I'd like a configure flags, like "--with-zlib"
  or "--with-gzip" but don't know how to implement that.

  The Jamfiles will be modified to embed the relevant portions
  of zlib directly into the "src/base/ftgzip" components otherwise.

  Apart from that, there may be a few improvements to the hinters
  this week-end, and we'll be done for 2.1.3 :-)

Regards,

- David Turner