Re: [Devel] Developer questions on FreeType2

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Devel] Developer questions on FreeType2
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 18:04:09 +0300

Hello Chris,

On Friday 06 December 2002 6:53 pm, Chris Foster wrote:
|  All,
|
|  I am working on an embedded project for which we are exploring several
|  options for a font rendered.  FreeType1 and FreeType2 are our primary
|  consideration at the moment that we are going to take through a proof a
|  concept procedure.
|
|  We have a couple of questions though that will help us determine which
|  FreeType is right for us.
|
|  1.  Heard rumors that FreeType2 is slower than FreeType1.  Is this true.
|  If so is it due to the bytecode interpreter that is turned of in
|  FreeType2 due to patent issues and replaced by the 'auto-hinter'?

Are there any numbers behind those "rumors"?

As about Bytecode interpreter and auto-hinter:  you may want to choose such
rendering path that you will never need any of those.
I am speaking about PS Type1 font with native hints, or OpenType (Adobe CFF)
font.

|  2.  We have a major concern for using Asian fonts.  We of course do not
|  want to store the large number of Asian fonts on our small embedded
|  environment with true type Asian fonts.  Does FreeType2 support any type
|  of stroke based font rendering?

There was some discussion about stoke-based fonts, but it seems there is no
open-source specification for such fonts avilable.
Are you aware of any such specification?

|  Thanks,
|  Chris Foster
|  Software Engineer
|
|  Livewire, Inc.
|  828 Ralph McGill Blvd. Suite 318
|  Atlanta, GA 30306
|  (404) 525-0940

Cheers,
--

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons * BlueSphere Icons 0.3.0 released