[Devel] Font with oversize HEAD table

From: Scott Long
Subject: [Devel] Font with oversize HEAD table
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 15:56:16 -0800

We have a font file that fails to load with FreeType because its HEAD table is 56 bytes long (instead of 54, as listed in the spec). In ttload.c line 216:

if ( table.Length != 0x36                ||

We have solved this problem here by changing to:

if ( table.Length < 0x36                ||

It makes sense to allow longer tables than the spec requires, since we can just ignore whatever bytes happen to be there. In this case is was probably the artifact of some font tool that tried to pad memory regions out to a multiple of 4 bytes (56 is divisible by 4, 54 is not).

Could this change be implemented in the next release? Probably there are more fonts than just this one which exhibit this problem...

Thanks,

Scott Long
SwiftView, Inc. http://www.swiftview.com