Re: [Devel] About PCL fonts

From: Scott Long
Subject: Re: [Devel] About PCL fonts
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 17:18:53 -0800

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 19:11:09 +0000
 "net pl" <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi,
I've already used FreeType to render the text in TrueType fonts.
I saw that the PCL fonts that is used by Printers Control language (HP)
are also a truetype format. I'd like to know if TrueType supports this fonts.

Thanks,
ml.

Not in the form in which they are embedded in the PCL stream. The TTF headers and glyph definitions occur as separate entities in the PCL stream, so you have to do some non-trivial manipulation to massage the data into something that looks like a TTF file (it is PCL5's concept of a character "continuation" that makes this non-trivial). At that point you can use FreeType to use the font.

I think it is way beyond the scope of FreeType to handle PCL streams.

Scott Long
SwiftView, Inc. http://www.swiftview.com