[Devel] Fw: Begging for FreeType assistance

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Devel] Fw: Begging for FreeType assistance
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 10:02:21 +0100 (CET)

Please help this guy.

     Werner
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Begging for FreeType assistance Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 12:17:35 -0700
I'm sure your inundated with these pitiful requests for help, but I figured I'd
give it a shot.  I looked through the entire archives for something that might
help me out but no luck.

I'm trying to render some simple monochrome characters to a single texture to
use as the source for my interface character set.  Take a look at the attached
image to see what I'm shooting for.  Everything is working great, except I just
can't get the font quality up to par.  I've tried just about every combination
of load flags in FT_Set_Char_Size, but nothing seems to look good.  Zoom in and
notice the bulky W and the lopsided 8 for instance.  Its 12 point Arial on
Win2K.

 <<font_Arial_12.png>>
I've attached a trimmed version of the relevant code I'm using as well.

 <<font_email.txt>>
I'm guessing my problem has to do with the loading flags I'm using in
FT_Set_Char_Size.  Might it have something to do with Hinting being disabled?
The only post in the message archives that seemed related to my problem was
from address@hidden  Tue Feb 13 11:07:57 2001.  He mentioned something about
fractional offsets and it destroying the hinting?

Anyway, if you could take a brief look at things and maybe throw me some advice
I'd greatly appreciate it.

Paul Tanganelli
Client Programmer
Artifact Entertainment