Re: [Devel] Cygwin experience and bugs

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] Cygwin experience and bugs
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 14:11:18 +0100

Hello Jeff,

Jeff Russell wrote:
This note describes my installation problems with freetype 2.1.3 compiled
under cygwin on Windows 2000. Sorry for the lack of patch, but some of these
suggested fixes require policy decisions. In summary, there were four major
problems that precluded building a shared library version of freetype on
cygwin:
1. Automatic platform detection failed
2. Shared libraries will not be build based on current makefile commands
3. Linking the shared library requires a dummy "main()" symbol be supplied.
4. The postinstall commands incorrectly assemble file names.

Here are the details.  I do not have the bandwidth to supply a
proper/elegant solution, but am happy to help out as I can.

1. Platform detecion. The automatic platform detection does note work--it
concludes a DOS environment.  The real solution is to manually copy
./builds/unix/config.mk to the root source direcotry (.). The documentation
for building is split between docs/BUILD and docs/INSTALL, and adding a
specific note somewhere concerning cygwin would be helpful.

"config.mk" must be re-generated by "configure" on each Unix-like platform
through a configure script. You're copying a default version which was
generated on Linux, so don't expect it to work on Cygwin at all... :-)

The following commands just work fine under my version of Cygwin:

  ./configure  <youroptions>
  make
  make install

or

  make setup unix
  make
  make install

they both work very well with the current sources. Libtool
doesn't generate errors, and builds both static and shared library
versions correctly. the install goes smoothly.

However, it's true that the documentation isn't clear enough about
all that, I'll try to update it.

The automatic platform detection needs fixing too. I'll look after
that shortly..

Thanks,

- David Turner