Re: [Devel] Glyph loading fails with FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING

From: Scott Long
Subject: Re: [Devel] Glyph loading fails with FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 10:22:37 -0800

On 24 Jan 2003 16:59:50 +0000
 "Gustavo J. A. M. " Carneiro <address@hidden> wrote:
Before giving up, I tried to do a simple experiment: remove the load
flag:

-       error = FT_Load_Char(face, chr, FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING);
+       error = FT_Load_Char(face, chr, 0);

Then it worked! However, rendering sucks completely since I'm using a
char size of 1 pixel and scale to the required size. This must be a bug in freetype (2.1.3); I makes no sense to have a glyph available only if
you specify hinting.

I wouldn't blame Freetype immediately. I have seen fonts with glyphs that are produced almost entirely by hinting. This seems to be purposeful, but I don't understand why anyone would do it. We have an example of a Chinese font with some glyphs that don't render correctly (either they are blank or look entirely different) without bytecode hinting enabled.

Scott Long
SwiftView, Inc. http://www.swiftview.com