RE: [Devel] pixel size, hinting and scaling

From: Gustavo J. A. M.
Subject: RE: [Devel] pixel size, hinting and scaling
Date: 27 Jan 2003 15:03:20 +0000

  This mail is taking too long to reach the list; I'm resending. Sorry
if it turns out to appear twice.

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 19:20, Graham Asher wrote:
> <<<<<<
> On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 18:45, Graham Asher wrote:
> > <<<<<<
> > Regarding the subject of decomposing a transformation matrix into
> > (scale x rest), libart_lgpl has this function that is probably what you
> > want:
> > >>>>>>

> > Unfortunately not. What we need is something that gives the two separate x
> > and y scale factors.
>
>  You can always call FT_Set_Char_Size(face, s, s). Then, you can get the
> rest of the transformation with:
>                T = R x S
>       INV(R) x T = S
>
>       where S = | s  0 |
>                 | 0  s |
>       and
>             s = art_affine_expansion(T);
>
>   This should produce similar results... more or less :)

  I screwed up. I meant something, and wrote another thing :)
  However, the principle stands. What I meant is this:

        T - total (global) transformation matrix
        R - "the Rest" of the transformation (leftover, if you will)
            after scaling is removed.
        S - the scaling part of the transformation
                S = |s 0|
                    |0 s|
                s = art_affine_expansion(T)
  Equations:
        T          = R x S
        T x INV(S) = R

  You call:
        FT_Set_Char_Size(face, s, s)

  Then use the affine R:
        FT_Glyph_Transform(glyph, R, NULL)

  It's pure algebra. The advantage of this approach is simplicity,
accuracy, and generality, since I get the impression you are assuming
that R is rotation only.

  In fact, this weekend I have put my theory to work with great results!
I could even activate hinting, so that all glyphs actually load and the
rendering looks much better! Here's the code I used. If I made yet
another mistake above, the code is copy-paste and it works:

/* Initialize font->char_width, font->char_height, font->ft_transf */
static void nxplot_artft_font_init_transf(NxplotArtftFont *font)
{
    double s;
    double scale_inv[6], rest[6];

    /*          T = R x S */
    /* T x INV(S) = R     */
    s = art_affine_expansion(font->transf);
    font->char_height = s*64;
    font->char_width  = font->char_height;
    s = font->char_height / 64.0;
    art_affine_scale(scale_inv, 1/s, 1/s);
    art_affine_multiply(rest, font->transf, scale_inv);

    /* (x1,  y1,  x2,  y2,  x3,  y3)  */
    /* (xx,  yx,  xy,  yy )           */
    font->ft_transf.xx = rest[0]*0x10000;
    font->ft_transf.xy = rest[2]*0x10000;
    font->ft_transf.yx = rest[1]*0x10000;
    font->ft_transf.yy = rest[3]*0x10000;
}

Notes:
  o font->transf is double[6], a libart affine transformation matrix
  o font->ft_trans is an FT_Matrix