Re: [Devel] Help me understand this... I'm loosing my sanity. Please.

From: Maurizio Colucci
Subject: Re: [Devel] Help me understand this... I'm loosing my sanity. Please.
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 20:19:39 +0200

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 19:23, Vincent Caron wrote:
> I could reproduce the problem with the Nimbus roman font while running a
>   Gnome application (using a freshly compiled FreeType 2.1.4). Using
> Gnome font configuration tool, I found out that the rendering became
> correct when I turned hinting off (the other hinting modes quoted as
> 'slight', 'medium' and 'full' would all fail on the 'p'). I don't have
> the other fonts installed.

Thanks Vincent. Sorry for wasting your time: now it's all solved.

The Debian package had activated the byte-code interpreter, so it
disabled auto-hinting.

Now I have installed freetype-2.1.4.tar.bz2 by hand, withouth the
interpreter, with auto-hinting, and the fonts are fixed. Better than
redhat (and better than MS ClearType!)

----

BTW, how did you turn hinting off without recompiling? :-)

Thanks a LOT,

Maurizio