Re: [Devel] Indic fonts

From: Antoine Leca
Subject: Re: [Devel] Indic fonts
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 23:43:42 +0200

address@hidden va escriure:
I donot know if freetype 2 has support for Indic fonts.

Not really. Freetype 2 is a low-level library, it does not have anything
that is script specific (and if you are thinking about context shaping,
context reordering, etc., then you are way out of scope).

Furthermore, by default Freetype does not handle very well the TrueType
fonts (because they are protected by a patent), so it handles them with
the general engine, which provide automatic hinting. The problem is not
there (auto hinting is great), but in the fact that this automatism is
optimized for Latin (and related) scripts, and may very well be suboptimal
for Indic fonts (I am thinking here at the different "shadow" for Nagari,
for example).

Look for LayoutEngine at ICU, or at Pango. They are higher level font
libraries, and they intent to support correctly Indic scripts (and yes,
they do use Freetype internally, when available.)

Antoine