Re: [Devel] freetype-2.1.4: build feedback

From: Pavel Kankovsky
Subject: Re: [Devel] freetype-2.1.4: build feedback
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 00:34:45 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > Finally, it does not appear that a setting of the variable `prefix'
> > in the environment is correctly propagated to the makefiles, as it
> > should be according to GNU standards for autoconfiguration.  On
> > systems where I lack write access to /usr/local, I had to manually
> > set prefix like this:
> >
> >     make prefix=$HOME/`arch`/local install
>
> I've checked autoconf.info but I couldn't find any details on an
> environment variable called `prefix'.  What exactly do you mean?
> Where is it documented?

File: standards.info,  Node: Directory Variables

Variables for Installation Directories

[...]

`prefix'
     A prefix used in constructing the default values of the variables
     listed below.  The default value of `prefix' should be
     `/usr/local'.  When building the complete GNU system, the prefix
     will be empty and `/usr' will be a symbolic link to `/'.  (If you
     are using Autoconf, write it as address@hidden@'.)

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."