[Devel] unpatented hinting system checked in

From: Graham Asher
Subject: [Devel] unpatented hinting system checked in
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 13:06:30 +0100

I have now checked in the new 'unpatented hinting system' (David Turner gave
me permission to do this in an email dated Sat 15/03/2003 1:36 pm), and
mindful of Werner's requests, I'm notifying everybody. It has NO effect on
the operation of FreeType unless specifically enabled by defining a new
macro, TT_CONFIG_OPTION_COMPILE_UNPATENTED_HINTING, in ftoption.h.

When enabled, it allows typefaces like mingliu.ttc from Dynalab to work
properly without infringing Apple patents. These typefaces use the hinting
system to form their glyphs properly; the glyphs are completely the wrong
shape when hinting (i.e., the TrueType bytecode interpreter) is not used.

This work was commissioned by Artifex, Inc., but is subject to the ordinary
FreeType license and has no other restrictions.

Please tell me if you have any problems with this code.

Best wishes to all FreeTypers,

Graham Asher

PS. This is a copy of another message I sent that has been delayed for
moderator approval because it contains an 80K attachment - a picture of the
effects of the unpatented hinting system. I have now put this picture on my
web space at
http://www.graham.asher.btinternet.co.uk/unpatented-hinting-demo.bmp.