Re: [Devel] ClearType-like results

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [Devel] ClearType-like results
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 13:12:27 +0200

Yaroslav Rastrigin wrote:
Hi !

Well, thanks for your reply, but I know principles of colorized AA. All I wanted to know is why freetype's AA is (probably, subjectively) worse than ClearType's one, and what could I do (maybe, switch or -DSOMETHING) to make ft's results better...

When it comes to FreeType itself:

  - FT2 doesn't do color filtering itself
  - if you're using the native TrueType bytecode interpreter, the result
    will look like crap anti-aliased at small pixel-sizes, sub-pixel
    optimized or not, in my opinion.

When it comes to libXft:

  - because the algorithm isn't the same than the one in ClearType.

Support for LCD-optimized rendering in the font engine is still more
or less experimental. The idea is to be able to generate good TrueType
output even when the native bytecode interpreter is compiled in. This
will probably require some tricky tests and decisions, like disabling
horizontal hinting for certain fonts, like italic ones..

Feel free to experiment and report your results here,

- David Turner

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for the
addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error, please
delete it and immediately notify the sender.
Any use not in accordance with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure,
either whole or partial, is prohibited except formal approval.
The E-Mail transmission can not guarantee the integrity of this message.
CANAL+TECHNOLOGIES will not therefore be liable for the message if modified.