[Devel] FreeType for .NET!?

From: Michael Pöttgen
Subject: [Devel] FreeType for .NET!?
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 18:59:24 +0200

Hello everyone!

Does anybody work on or has heard of someone working on something like
FreeType for .NET?

If not, I might consider doing so and create language bindings for .NET
using a thin C# wrapper.

I would like to keep it portable to mono (www.go-mono.com), so it can be
used on Linux and alike. This means, that a managed C++ wrapper is not an
option, since (as far as I know) there is no managed C++ compiler for mono.
Unfortunatly this means, that the wrapper cannot be linked statically
against the FreeType library. So there are two design options:

1. Rebuild all FreeType structs in C# and pass pointers to those internal
structs around.

Or

2. Add accessor functions for all data members of the FreeType structs to
the FreeType library.

I'd prefer the second option, since it makes the interface more robust
against changes within the library. Otherwise modifications in the struct
layout of the FreeType library would have to be applied to the wrapper as
well.

Is anybody a) interested in the results of such an effort or b) willing and
able to help out a little bit?

Cheers,
Michael