RE: [Devel] FNT encodings

From: Michael Pöttgen
Subject: RE: [Devel] FNT encodings
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 01:27:10 +0200

> > DEFAULT_CHARSET is used for font enumeration and font creation as a
> > "don't care" value. When querying for information about the
> character
> > set of the font that is currently selected into a specified device
> > context, a return value of DEFAULT_CHARSET simply denotes failure.
>
> Thanks!  With other words, I don't have to care about it.

You won't find DEFAULT_CHARSET in a (correct) font file.

> > SYMBOL_CHARSET is used to select fonts like Symbol and WingDings.
>
> But how can I know which one?

Which font is selected or which ones are enumerated depends on the other
font attributes, passed to the mechanism (font name, wheight, flags, etc.)

What I can't tell you is, which character set is used. Since only individual
symbols are included in a symbol font, and not letters, digits, and alike,
I'm asking myself if there are any standard character sets involved at all.
It's probably more like the first character is an airplane, the second is a
ship and so on. As long as you store the index of the first letter, you will
always hit the airplane. You won't be able to map airplanes and ships to
unicode character codes (although airplane is a bad example, since airplane
is U+2708).

Michael