Re: [Devel] charmap encodings

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] charmap encodings
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 08:30:06 +0200 (CEST)

> I'm confused about what charmap to select for fonts that doesn't
> contain an ASCII, Latin-1, or Unicode charmap, for example
> 'wingdings'.  My application needs to produce glyph images of the
> font.  Why is it that i get correct images when i select
> FT_ENCODING_APPLE_ROMAN and incorrect images when selecting
> FT_ENCODING_MS_SYMBOLS.  Both these charmaps are present in the font
> file.

Because Microsoft uses an ugly hack: You have to add 0xF000 to the
character code if FT_ENCODING_MS_SYMBOLS is active.

> Simply put; how do i determine which encoding to use from the
> platform_id and encoding_id (given by face->charmaps[n]->platform_id
> and face->charmaps[n]->encoding_id)

You shouldn't do that in general.  Only the SFNT format has the
PID/EID pair to identify the encoding.  For other formats we have to
emulate it.  You should use FT_ENCODING_XXX where possible.  If this
really doesn't help look into `ttnameid.h'.