RE: [Devel] 2.1.5rc1 and bytecode interpreter

From: Turner David
Subject: RE: [Devel] 2.1.5rc1 and bytecode interpreter
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 09:58:54 +0200

Hello,

> The current gentoo ebuild for freetype does this to enable the
> interpreter:
>
> append-flags "${CFLAGS} -DTT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER"
>
> I've confirmed that -DTT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER does in
> fact show up in each call to gcc during the compilation.
>
> Nonetheless I only get autohinting from 2.1.5rc1.
>
> In a manual compile, actually changing the #undef to #define succeeded
> in enabling the interpreter, but fo whatever reason defining it on the
> command line no longer overrides the #undef.
>
> I cannot be certain whether the partial-interpreter is active; I'm not
> sure what font I should look at to check that.  Perhaps a -U option or
> an additional -D option is needed?
>
> Adding -UTT_CONFIG_OPTION_UNPATENTED_HINTING to the CFLAGS does not
> lead to any noticable changes.

That's normal, because the unpatented hinter has been *disabled* for 2.1.5.
Reason is that FreeType cannot properly determine which hinter to use
when it is compiled in.

Note that this is a limitation of FreeType's internals, not of the unpatented
hinter which works _very_ well; and this should be fixed shortly, though not
in this release.

> Am I missing something obvious?

Well, I can explain what happens here, and it should be easy to fix.
Fact is that in previous releases, the line in "ftoption.h" that
read #undef TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER was simply
commented off, and thus never read by the pre-processor.

In the current sources, this line will simply disable any command-line
settings you use when compiling the sources.

I didn't envision that someone would force bytecode interpreter compilation
through additional CFLAGS. The fix is simply to comment out the offending
line as before. Any volunteer ? I'm at work.

(and don't forget to update BRANCH-2-1-5 _and_ HEAD branches on the CVS)

Hope this helps,

- David Turner

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for the
addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error, please
delete it and immediately notify the sender.
Any use not in accordance with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure,
either whole or partial, is prohibited except formal approval.
The E-Mail transmission can not guarantee the integrity of this message.
CANAL+TECHNOLOGIES will not therefore be liable for the message if modified.