[Devel] Several difficulties installing freetype-2.1.4 on SuSE 8.0

From: arnaud kubacki
Subject: [Devel] Several difficulties installing freetype-2.1.4 on SuSE 8.0
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:56:25 +0200

Hi !

As dia needs a newer version of pango program tbhat requires also freetype-2 package, I tried to install the last one on my system (SuSE 8.0)

I encountered several difficulties when wanting to install freetype-2.1.4

First, I picked up the SRC.RPM package from Redhat rawhide and tried to build a new rpm for my system. Unfortunately, Freetype-2 needs automake14!. As I have automake-1.5 already installed on my system and as I cannot remove this package for dependancy issues, I installed the SRPM package and change the SPECS by replaceing automake14 by automake-1.5 and I did a symbolic links between aclocal and aclocal-14

Then I tried to rebuild the package : rpm -bb freetype.spec
That compiles but unfortunately I get this following error :

Libraries have been installed in:
  /var/tmp/freetype-2.1.4-root/usr/lib

If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
  - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
    during execution
  - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
    during linking
  - use the `-Wl,--rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
  - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.
+ popd
/usr/src/packages/BUILD/freetype-2.1.4
+ mkdir -p /var/tmp/freetype-2.1.4-root//usr/include/freetype1
+ mv /var/tmp/freetype-2.1.4-root//usr/include/freetype /var/tmp/freetype-2.1.4-root//usr/include/freetype1 mv: cannot stat `/var/tmp/freetype-2.1.4-root//usr/include/freetype': No such file or directory
Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.49488 (%install)

Could you please explain me what I have to do in that case ? I have C programming basis knowledge and I can modify shell scripts but before doing anything wrong I need your advice.

Thanks,

Arnaud