RE: [Devel] About Instarll Freetype on redhat linux 9

From: Turner David
Subject: RE: [Devel] About Instarll Freetype on redhat linux 9
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 10:43:46 +0100

Hello,
Hi, all

This moring I acted as the INSTALL.UNX to upgrade freetype on Redhat linux 9.01:
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install

This is correct

cp /usr/lib/libfreetype.a /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libfreetype.a (because I found that startx will load /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libfreetype.a, which don't be upgraded by make install)

This is not correct, and isn't even described in INSTALL.UNX. You shouldn't have done that !!

Any XFree86 module found under the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules directory hierarchy must be compiled
in a very special way. These modules are supposed to be platform-independent and cannot use the
target system's standard C library, among other things...

In other words, you trashed your XFree86 installation. Try to replace this file by its previous version.
If this is not possible, remove it. Note that the XFree86 libfreetype.a is only used to support TrueType fonts for legacy X11 applications (i.e. not anti-aliased).

Simply updating the /usr/lib library should update all anti-aliased rendering though, since this
isn't supported through standard X11 services.

Hope this helps,

- David Turner
- The FreeType Project  (www.freetype.org)

After doing above all, I used "startx", but it failed , I checked the log, which shows the following message:
Duplicate symbol BitOrderInvert in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libfreetype.a:truetype.o
Also defined in (built-in)
Why?
Thanks a lot!

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for the addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Any use not in accordance with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure, either whole or partial, is prohibited except formal approval. The E-Mail transmission can not guarantee the integrity of this message.
CANAL+TECHNOLOGIES will not therefore be liable for the message if modified.