[Devel] Firefly's gamma correction patch.

From: Doug Holland
Subject: [Devel] Firefly's gamma correction patch.
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 17:58:44 -0700

After reading the source code and experimenting with Firefly's gamma
correction patch (the one at http://firefly.idv.tw/setfont-xft/patches/
freetype/freetype-2.1.4-smooth-usegamma-20030519.patch ), I've come to the
conclusion that it Does The Wrong Thing.

The reason is that this gamma function assumes you're using white text on a
black background, and indeed in that case it does work.  However, if you use
black text on a white background, it makes the blended pixels darker rather
than lighter, so it's actually anti-gamma correcting, and the results are
quite ugly.

I'm thinking that gamma correction needs to be implemented later in the
rendering pipeline, preferably when the characters are alpha-blended with the
background pixmaps.

Thoughts?

Meldroc