Re: [Devel] [Fwd: [Pfaedit-devel] Auto-hint question]

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] [Fwd: [Pfaedit-devel] Auto-hint question]
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:11:42 +0100 (CET)

>         > In fact my real problem with this hint is that I tries to
>         > generate an anti-aliased bitmap from this font, using
>         > freetype.  With this hint, the character is rendered one
>         > pixel below the y=0 line!  If I suppress this only hint,
>         > the bitmap is OK.
> PfaEdit puts in ghost hints to align the bottom of curves which are
> in within blue zones. But this appears not to work with freetype.
>
> To me this seems like a reasonable thing for PfaEdit to do, but I
> may be wrong. David, or Werner is this my bug or yours?

In case of doubt it is a bug in FreeType. :-( Currently, the PS hinter
sucks; I've already reported some ugly renderings.  David apparently
has no time to work on it, and I don't really understand it (yet --
also due to lack of time).

Are there good guys who are willing to help debugging/improving the PS
hinter of FreeType?