Re: [Devel] Advice on Font Subsetting

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] Advice on Font Subsetting
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:50:04 +0100 (CET)

> Unfortunately, I don't want to use the code from dvipdfmx because
> the code is 1) dependent on kpathsea,

This is a very minor issue.  It just affects file searching.

> and 2) the code relies on the existence of a corresponding tfm
> file---some metrics are read from the tfm file instead of the afm
> file.  This would make my project dependent on an installed TeX
> distribution---which is what I don't want.

Again a minor issue.

> Moreover, FreeType in my opinion is much easier to read than
> dvipdfmx.

Well, you would certainly get support from the dvipdfmx
maintainers...  You might also have a look at pdfTeX and dvips,
another two projects which do Type 1 subsetting.  pdfTeX also handles
TTF, but neither CID nor CFF.

> So I want to use basically the same logic to create a Type1
> subsetted font using FreeType.  I familiarized myself with how FT
> parses Type 1 fonts and would like some advice please. [...]

I still think that FreeType, especially the PS parser, is not the
appropriate tool for your project.  It simply ignores too much of the
data in a font.  Your parser should act as careful as possible to
avoid font problems.

> 7) Would it make sense for me to contribute the code back and try to
> get it into official FreeType distribution?  Is there any interest?

To speak frankly, no.  It doesn't fit into FreeType's scope, being a
rasterizer for various font formats.

On the other hand, it would be great to have a library which accepts
fonts in various formats and a list of glyph indices, and which
outputs a subsetted font covering exactly the glyphs in the list.
Perhaps the dvipdfmx people are interested here also?

If you think that code of FreeType is of use, just use it!