Re: [Devel] Moving the location of "lsb_delta" and "rsb_delta"

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Devel] Moving the location of "lsb_delta" and "rsb_delta"
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:10:54 -0700

Around 22 o'clock on Jun 9, David Turner wrote:

> PS: Retrospectively, Werner's addition of the "x_ppem" and "y_ppem" fields
>      to the public FT_Bitmap_Size structure also did break binary
> compatibility
>      for those apps that did access the structures directly.

Yes, those fields did cause a bit of an adventure for fontconfig and Xft.

They were added at the end of a structure which was allocated by FreeType
though, so it didn't turn out to be that hard to manage.  That they
assumed the role formerly played by other elements of the structure was
far more challenging.

>     I suppose that it's too late to get rid of it though, since I believe
>     recent versions of fontconfig use these..

Now that we have a clear understanding of the semantic distinction, the new
fields contain the most impotant data and so removing them would be
problematic.

-keith