Re: [Devel] OpenType futures

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [Devel] OpenType futures
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:40:50 +0900

Dear Mr. Owen,

Could you estimate the size of the unified library of
table-validation + table-parsing + glyph-lookup?

There are several font/printing softwares which does
not require whole of features of OpenType and TrueTypeGX
and using just partial infos provided by the table.

For example, in the scope of CJK text processing,
glyph substitution of vertical writing mode is especially
important, and there is several legacy methods are still
widely used (by using vendor specific char-glyph mapping).
The softwares have to check which vertical writing mode
support is available from the font for first. For such
purpose, full featured OpenType parser looks like overkill.

Regards,

mpsuzuki