Re: [Devel] Courier New rendering bug

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Devel] Courier New rendering bug
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 04:26:37 +0200 (CEST)

> To reproduce this, ftview Courier New at 13-point, DPI 81, with
> patented hinting enabled and anti-aliasing disabled.  I only have to
> go down to DPI 80 to see the imperfections disappear.

I can confirm this with the current CVS (using .  Any DPI value in the
range 81-85 makes a, r, and v render ugly.

The real question is how the Windows/Apple TrueType rendering engine
behaves.  Can someone test this?  It is possible that the font hasn't
been optimized for those cases, and that FreeType had a `bug' which
made it appear better in earlier versions (which it shouldn't -- the
output of TrueType fonts should exactly be the same on all platforms).