[Devel] Re: Switching autohint per characters

From: UTUMI Hirosi
Subject: [Devel] Re: Switching autohint per characters
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 03:44:50 +0900 (JST)

Hi,

I have tested another Japanese font (IPA font).
It is included in this package (48MB !)
http://www.grass-japan.org/FOSS4G/ipafonts/grass5.0.3_i686-pc-linux-i18n-ipafull-gnu_bin.tar.gz

See these pictures please:
// With autohint
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Cupertino/5207/snapshot/ipa_autohint01ja.png
// With Akito's freetype-autohint-cjkfonts.patch
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Cupertino/5207/snapshot/ipa_akito01ja.png
// With BYTECODE_INTERPRETER (not under GPL/BSD ?)
http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-Cupertino/5207/snapshot/ipa_bi01ja.png

I think BYTECODE_INTERPRETER is the best,
Akito's freetype-autohint-cjkfonts.patch is better,
Autohint is not so good.

Mandrake developers say "we can't distribute freetype2 with
BYTECODE_INTERPRETER".
I recommend Akito's patch for CJK fonts.

Thanks.
Hirosi