Re: [ft-devel] Regarding GTK/GNOME memory usage optimization

From: Kirill Kryukov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Regarding GTK/GNOME memory usage optimization
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 03:21:45 +0900

Hello David and everyone,

I don't know if this can be useful, but I'd like to mention about
glyph caching subsystem that I did in Glyph Keeper library. It allows
to have a single glyph cache, that keeps glyphs of different font
faces and sizes. In this way a single cache object may be enough for
all text rendering of one program. Cache object has memory consumption
limit that it will never exceed. Also the maximum number of stored
glyphs can be limited. And yeah, you can query how much memory a cache
object is using in any moment. It's quite simple anyway, the lib is
just FreeType wrapper with glyph caching and Allegro and SDL target
drawing code. It is here: http://kd.lab.nig.ac.jp/glyph-keeper/
Any questions are welcome.

And yeah, thanks for FreeType!

--