RE: [ft-devel] Structure Viewer for TTF files

From: James Newtons Massmind
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] Structure Viewer for TTF files
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 17:13:31 -0700

I must say thank you for all your kind replies to my last post.
Since then, I've gotten the structure viewer to the point where it is able to (I think) correctly read out at least the simple glyph format. The available documentation on that format is .... shall we say... LIGHT! I've read the Microsoft and apple docs and looked at the parsettf.c file from FontForge. I've also tried to find information from the source of freetype but to be honest, the code is so complex that I can't find where it actually reads the TTF file! I'm not at your level by any means, but this structure viewer and the documentation it provides can only help the community at large.

Would it be horrible of me to ask if someone could look at this screen shot and tell me if the template results look reasonable? I don't expect anyone to directly check it against the binary data, but there are a few things about it that concern me.

1. The xMin value is 256, but the first X coordinate is 1. Is that "1 in relation to 256?" or am I reading xMin or the X coordinate wrong? or does xMin not mean that there can be no X values less than 256?

2. The second Glyph starts two bytes after the first one ends. This is according to the offsets in the loca table. That makes me think that the two bytes should be part of this first glyph. In the code for FontForge, there is a comment that the glyphs might just follow one another but that isn't specified anywhere. Perhaps it is normal for there to be "junk" between them?

Thanks in advance for your time. I hope HTML is accepted, and if not please let me know and I'll try to repost in plain text with the picture attached or linked.

---
James Newton, massmind.org Knowledge Archiver
address@hidden 1-619-652-0593 fax:1-208-279-8767
All the engineering secrets worth knowing:
http://techref.massmind.org What do YOU know?