Re: [ft-devel] Re: mkfontscale - illegal instruction bug (PPC again)

From: Clemens Koller
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Re: mkfontscale - illegal instruction bug (PPC again)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 17:17:37 +0200

Hi, Behdad!

Ok, I've lost track or I am just too callow.

1. stock freetype-2.1.9 doesn't work on some PPCs like mine.
2. stock freetype-2.1.9 works if I manually apply -fno-strict-aliasing via
        export CFLAGS=-fno-strict-aliasing
        export CXXFLAGS=-fno-strict-aliasing

3a. freetype-latest-CVS works because the -fno-strict-aliasing was added by
Werner a long time ago.
3b. I test all that with Werner's configure scripts because I run into this
problem which I cannot get solved (I've checked the installation now five times
(*)):

address@hidden:~/cvsbuild/freetype2$ sh ./autogen.sh
/home/clemens/cvsbuild/freetype2/builds/unix
running `aclocal -I . --force'
running `libtoolize --force --copy'
You should update your `aclocal.m4' by running aclocal.
running `autoconf --force'
configure.ac:147: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
      See the Autoconf documentation.
error while running `autoconf --force'

(*) is there an issue when libtool resides in --prefix=/usr and autoconf and
automake
in /usr/local?

4a. Now you made a patch called xx located yy which fixes several cast (void
*)'s
to allow strict-aliasing again OR
4b. you checked the patch into cvs revision zz which does fix the
strict-aliasings
but didn't remove the -fno-strict-aliasing from the Makefiles (keep in mind 3b).

Can we either checkin _all_ into CVS and remove the -fno-strict-aliasing also?
(keep in mind 3b). Or work with patches against current CVS?

I got
ft2demos-strictaliasing.patch
freetype-strictaliasing.patch
which doesn't help me AFAIK.

But I am wondering if
freetype2-strictaliasing.patch
is really all we need to change?

Well, thanks anyway. It would be good to verify your changes
but I guess I need more glue of what you are/I am doing.

Best greets,

Clemens