RE: [ft-devel] [patch] bugs in emboldening

From: Turner, David
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] [patch] bugs in emboldening
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:12:16 +0200

> > > The `strength' in FT_Outline_Embolden is halved so that, for
> > > example, a vertical bar of width W will be, after emboldening, of
> > > width "W + strength".  And now it works as the documentation says.
> >
> > Now that the code is part of a public release, it'd be better to
> > document the current behaviour rather than change it. Otherwise,
> > you're going to surprise some people when the new release comes
> > out.
>
> I disagree.  People should file a bug report if FreeType doesn't
> behave as documented.  This has always been our main policy, and I see
> no reason to change it.  Can you give a counterexample?

You're completely right, and I certainly was confused. Sorry for the
fuss. I should sleep more :-)

- David

> > Werner, I did warn you about putting some "fresh" code in this
> > release!
>
> :-)  Nothing prevents us to release 2.2.0 very soon.

Yep, I'll take a look at that. I'm currently writing patches
to various other libraries to make them not depend on FreeType
internals. I've already sent a Pango patch to Owern,
and preparing the equivalent for FontConfig.

Don't hold your breath though...

Regards,

- David