[ft-devel] Subpixel rendering on monitors with v-shaped pixels

From: Jamax
Subject: [ft-devel] Subpixel rendering on monitors with v-shaped pixels
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 11:31:06 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Hi,

I've noticed something incredibly peculiar about the two Dell 1703fp monitors I
am using at work:  the pixels are neither horizontal nor vertical!  They
literally look like this:

RGB

I've spent an incredible amount of time trying to get linux fonts to look
decent on this computer and the end result is turning off smoothing/subpixel
rendering and using fonts that happen to look okay at a particular size (tahoma
10/12 and courier new 10).  Nobody believes me (in fact they get actively
hostile at the suggestion) that the fonts look like crap and I suppose I
understand since on other computers I've had decent looking fonts in Linux.
There is always something wrong though on this system... either a colored halo
around some characters and not others, or some pixels that are 'weak'.

I always assumed that I could just try various RGB/BGR/VRGB/VBGR settings until
one worked and it would be obvious which one was best, and when I couldn't pick
one as clearly better I just assumed something else must be configured wrongly.
 But I finally broke out a magnifying glass and saw this bizarre pixel pattern
and it dawned on me that it's probably the reason why.  I tried searching the
list archives, but didn't find anything about this.  Is this a known issue?  Is
there some setting in the config for this type of monitor?

Jamax